2011年2月21日月曜日

blogger beware

When I first started blogging I didn't tell anyone about my blog and so I could write whatever I wanted.

It was a lot of freedom but it was also quite boring as the only people who ever found me were (disappointed) web pilgrims searching for the Jodo Shinshu Buddhist sect.

Then I joined a loose group of bloggers- all foreign wives of Japanese men. I had never met any of them in real life so I still felt a (false) sense of anonymity.

Then, drat, I started meeting some of these bloggers, and I liked them and had an image in my head when I was writing, and then more and more people I really knew started visiting me here. It was a lot more fun to write knowing people were actually reading (and not reading and thinking 'that's got nothing to do with Buddhism, what's with the title??') but I felt more accountable to those who read when I wrote. Not that I'm making this up (and really I am a glamorous career woman DINK living in Sydney....) but I do pick and choose what I write about slanting it towards the country life aspects of my existence because it's more interesting than the bits where I'm stuck in traffic or lining up at the supermarket, yeah?

Then I told my family about the blog and while they don't comment here online (give them a break, they've come a long way from holding the mouse with two hands and following very detailed two page hand written instructions on how to read their email!) they regularly send me emails pointing out little inaccuracies- my mum doesn't like my use of 'walah!' she prefers 'voila!' but you see when I say that word in my French accent it sounds like Voy-lah and that doesn't really work now does it? and I have to think of that as another level of scrutiny when I write.

*sigh* the pressure.

And of course all the comments became addictive and I went from my-secret-blog to shouting the address from the rooftops and pushing it on all my friends and students. That includes my bosses. So no more blogging about how crap my job is, hey? (Just kidding!)

I guess it was inevitable but somehow I hadn't thought of the logical next step- meeting people for the first time and finding out they already know about me. Know a lot about me as they recognise me from here. Not that much of a challenge considering I managed to publicise my full name and address.... watch out next week when I hand over my password and Visa card number, hey? But I still find it a little disarming when I introduce myself and someone asks after the chooks (still alive and thriving, thanks) or about Amy's latest antics (she wants to get back in my tummy and be re-born as a boy so we can put up carp streamers for boys day, as you do) before I even know their name...

So I guess I thought I'd experienced and come to terms with all the pitfalls and blogger beware points already.

But nope. Today I had a doozy.

It all started with this post.

And then stage two was last night.

I had already gone to bed and was doing my customary pre-sleep mental run through of the next days schedule/ responsibilities/ appointments when I realised I needed to check something with my boss about the next day's work.

I started texting but I was really beyond tired and couldn't keep my eyes open well enough to type.

So I saved my mail as a draft and went to sleep.

Woke up the next morning and found my boss had written to me about the very same thing.

Great minds think alike, right?

Mentioned this serendipity when I got to work.

Wrong.

You guessed it. I hadn't 'saved as draft' I had hit send. To a very abrupt and- shock!- emoticon-less email.

Horrified I apologised profusely and explained the situation.

The boss smiled and said:

"Come on. I read your blog. You said you don't like long emails."

True. But I have not resorted to absolute rudeness!

So, blogger beware. There are pitfalls everywhere.

9 件のコメント:

Gaijin Wife さんのコメント...

'she wants to get back in my tummy and be re-born as a boy so we can put up carp streamers for boys day'

Just about fell off chair snorting beer all over floor - if you keep writing stuff like that then I don't care what budhist sect you come from.

I agree though - it is a bit strange meeting someone IRL after knowing all about them. Although very comforting and easy at the same time. Last person I met IRL was Corrine and it was just so easy.

Bad bridget jones moment for you though. Just make sure you don't get pissed and send them all christmas cards.

And if and when I meet you IRL I promise I'll pretend like I know nothing at all about anything.

Pankuro さんのコメント...

And it's only going to get worse now that you're an international celebrity from your appearance on The Japanofiles!

I'm a regular Japanofiles listener and visited Matsumoto last month and met Dave. Life in Shinshu sounds really nice. After hearing your interview I was almost ready to move to rural Japan and join a neighborhood association. My wife would never go for living in a cold house, though. Maybe if we move there in early summer she'll already be in love with the place by the time it gets cold.

Great blog!

Scott Murphy
New York City

thefukases さんのコメント...

For real GW. For a moment I was all worried about dealing with some deep gender dysmorphic thing when she popped up with her reason. Grrrrr. That said, the neighbourhood two storey high koinobori certainly are much more impressive than our little box of dolls in the genkan so I see her point!

I really think the first time I meet you I will need to have already had my first G&T or I will be blushing so hard I won't be able to speak. And if I ever meet your husband?? *^_^*

Pankuro- aghhhh! I guess my whole to-tell-or-not-to-tell about the podcast dilemma has been solved!

Thank you for your kind words. Dave is a great guy. There isn't much about this area or the people who live here that he doesn't know!

I do love where I live however I also certainly recommend easing your wife into life in an un-insulated, un-centrally heated house! Wood fires are definitely the way to go- and you get that whole country experience of felling, carting, chopping and splitting wood to boot!

PS. My accent. *Definitely* Australian, right??

Rachel さんのコメント...

I hear ya! I also started out completely just li'l ole me, and maybe my family if I could coach them through the painful comments process. Hard to get that back...

And yes, it can be a wee bit awkward making small talk with Mr. GW at kiddie parties...

Scott さんのコメント...

Oops! Sorry about that. But I didn't think you sounded nervous at all. It was really an interesting interview.

Scott さんのコメント...

This is Pankuro, by the way. My comment got posted as "Scott". I guess I have two different accounts and didn't even know it.

BiggerInJapan さんのコメント...

that's funny. I started the other way around - with my real, full name, as I posted pretty innocent stuff. And then got quickly bored by my own kawaii pictures, and started to write some real stories, and now I'm eager to become a little bit more anonymous...

thefukases さんのコメント...

Rachel- how do you stop yourself from making him paranoid by using words like 'shinkansen' in heavy emphasis? ;P

Pankuro/ Scott- no problem. It was out there with my name, nervous giggle and twisted accent anyway, right?

BiggerinJapan- wow, I just checked out your blog and can't decide whether you were abducted by aliens who got your password- talk about a shift in the tone of your blog! Sounds like you've had some crap going on, hope it's smooth sailing now and let me know anyone you want a crate of rotten onions sent to (no other pong like it in the world)!

BiggerInJapan さんのコメント...

Thanks; got some wind back in our sails again.
Still might want to take you up on your offer for rotten onions someday!