2010年4月7日水曜日

a tale of two bentos and some ramblings

This week the first graders don't eat school lunch. Kid's who walk home leave at 11:00. That means kids in this area don't get home until 12:20ish. Walking to school, doing a morning worth of school stuff and walking back again just on breakfast is a bit tough and they're starving when they get home.

The kids who go to after school care can't go until 12:00 because in the mornings the after school care building is a play centre for the pre-kinder crowd and they seem to want to avoid having excited and bag laden 6 year olds stampeding through the crawling zone. Weird, huh? Anyway, that means the after school care kids stick around in the classroom until 12 and then the after school care teacher comes and collects them for the arduous journey across one zebra crossing to the within-spitting-distance after school care building. They sign in, wash their hands, stow their bags and eat lunch about 12:15. No real difference in lunchtime then except in Meg's case the lack of a 3.8km walk home (up hill then up mountain to boot).

So this week I have been making two bentos a day. K's usual volume-over-presentation lunch and Meg's "volume is important but I'm eating with my friends so I want something cute as well" lunch. Phew....

This is what I came up with today:


For K (hopefully that was obvious!) rolled omelette, pickles, fried chicken, pumpkin, tomatoes, spicy soy sauce dressing, tofu and kimchi stirfry. He has an instant miso soup with it. This bento is rather lacking in greenery but K considers rice a vegetable and therefore states that he consumes more vegetables than the rest of us combined. Hmmmm....


Meg's bento. Cucumber, red and yellow capsicum and carrot sticks, pumpkin, tomato, fried chicken and rolled omelette. Some kind of citrus, pickled plum and shiso leaves, dried apricot and strawberries. She also had two rice balls. I think this bento is rather dessert heavy but I was informed that her friends all had character imprinted sausages, character shaped processed foods and mini jelly cups in their lunch yesterday and, as we have none of those desirables, I am trying to compensate with sweets I guess. Terrible. And she won't be mollified anyway. Oh well.

I think it's interesting how I can start with the same items in the fridge and end up with quite different lunches. I was also thinking that if they accidentally swapped lunches (not likely but you know) Meg wouldn't bat an eyelid but K would be in for a shock- all those vegetables and not even any mayonnaise? Shudder....

In other news Amy had her first evening of after kinder care and was gutted to find out that she wouldn't be playing in the gym. For the last year she has begged to go to after care as the kids get to play with the hula hoops, big foam blocks and huge foam balls in the gym. So she was all excited from this morning doing a crazy uncoordinated hip wiggle thing and telling anyone who'd listen 'I'm going to do this one!' Well, turns out until things settle down a bit with all the new kids after care is conducted in the regular classrooms. Amy was not impressed and announced loudly on pick up that she's not going again. That's ok. You don't need to go, honey. Well, until next Wednesday anyway.

Poor Meg walked to school in the freezing rain. Only day two of walking and it rains. More of a drizzle than a torrent but still. She was thrilled though as she got to use her umbrella (umbrellas were banned at kinder so this is big time exciting.) It turned to snow later on so I guess she was lucky it was only rain...

It is amazing the number of people who come out to see the kids off in the morning. Each kid's mum comes out to make sure they joined the domino line down the mountain and, while I didn't expect that even the grade 5 kids' mums would do that I understand and respect it, but it's all the random farmers and housewives who come out to say good morning and safe trip that surprises me. The woman from the scary house two doors up turns out to be quite chatty at 6:30am. She's a real sourpuss the rest of the day so I was amazed to see her calling out to the kids as they go past. Nice to know there's lots of eyes on the kids anyway. It's funny but it seems the kids are quite the topic of senior cit. conversation. I was in the JA bakery and the woman behind the counter commented that Meg is the first kid waiting each morning. Knowing that she lives wayyyy far away from us I blanked out and kind of stared at her and she explained that someone who lives in our block came in to buy bread and that's how she heard. Guess there's not much garden action to talk about yet, huh?

I did my first neighbourhood association shopping trip yesterday. As I said part of K's new job is purchasing the alcohol and snacks for all those darn meetings he goes to. Well, as he works full time, the meeting started at 6:30 and he was going to skip/ wolf down lunch to make it to the supermarket and back to work in the puny 45 minutes he gets for lunch I offered to go instead if he wrote me a shopping list. When I write a shopping list it looks like this: bananas, apples, milk x5, yoghurt, mushrooms etc etc. K's shopping list was wayyyy more detailed: iichiko brand shochu alcohol percent 25, carton (not bottle) approximate price 1500 yen, dried bean variety pack, the pack with the most individual packs in it, approximate price 400 yen. etc etc. At first I was annoyed at how little faith he has in my shopping ability- I mean I do all the shopping for our family without any trouble, right? But when I got there and saw how many different variations on a deep fried dried bean there are I was glad of the assistance! On a related note, what's with the price of dried squid snacks? Fresh sashimi grade squid costs half as much. Very odd...

And that was pretty much my day. This waking up early thing is seriously cutting in to my evenings. My usual 3-4 hours me time after the evening rush and evening cleanup are being spent asleep and I'm getting behind on emails, blog reading and the British tabloids. Really. Got to rejig the schedule a bit so I can at least read the Daily Mail, right?

3 件のコメント:

Kaba さんのコメント...

Those bento boxes look amazing. I wish somebody would fix me on of those. I wouldn't even care which one ;-)

thefukases さんのコメント...

thank you. I really don't do artistic bentos but I think I don't do too badly nutritionally. the ones I make for myself are a pretty poor cousin though!

Kaba さんのコメント...

As long as it tastes good, I guess the presentation is not that important. I just usually can't be asked and then buy whatever the shops have to offer.