2010年2月6日土曜日

today in pictures

Woke up this morning bright and early to find that for some reason ice-skating lessons had been postponed:


The ice-rink is huge and while they have two zambonis to clear the track it takes time. That wasn't the only reason it was postponed though, the ice-rink is half way up a mountain on a rather low priority snow plough route. With freezing temperatures last night and 10cm of fresh powder they didn't want us all driving up there. I get that but I was still disappointed.

Not wanting to waste such a wonderful morning (heavy sarcasm) we headed into town to see the combined kindergarten graduating class art exhibition.

(Fighting our way through crowds the whole way)

It was great. The entire main hall of the local (I mean really local so this is not a big deal to any but the child artists and their parents) art museum was papered with these life size self portraits. Before Christmas we were all sent home a huge piece of paper and asked to draw around the outside of our child in faint grey pencil, not to draw features, write their name in bubble writing so they could colour it in and send it back to kinder with a mirror. The kids would then use the mirror to draw their features and colour it all in with crayons and paint. I kept getting status updates from Meg 'we did our hair today!' 'A-chan spilt blue all over her picture's face!' and had a pretty good idea of what colours Meg was using on hers from the colours of paint I was soaking out of her clothes but I had no idea how amazing they would all look.

The poses were fun to see the variety the kids (their parents?) had thought of, the faces were a delight and the amazing rainbow effect of all those colours together was really mesmerising. I had thought we'd rush in, take a picture of Meg and her artwork and scurry off home again but we ended up spending a good 30 minutes walking around and around with Meg pointing out her friends' work and Amy just enjoying all the colours.


The proud artist and her masterpiece.

The snow didn't let up all day and it was a slippy slidey drive to work and back but I am getting so much better at snow driving I didn't even have one 'whoa!' moment. That is such an improvement on my first snow drive where I did everything you are not supposed to do and span 270 degrees and then stayed there crying till K came and got me. I hadn't made it 200m from home so it wasn't a long wait but still...

After work I went out to feed the chooks and needed to come back for different shoes:


Snow shoes! It wasn't that deep but it was over boot height and very powdery and I really hate wet cold feet so I thought why not and put these on and tramped out there dry and warm as you like. Very happy Heather. My favourite part of these snowshoes? Other than the abovementioned benefits of their use that is? The straps. Yup. The straps. They look so much like the straps on surf sandals that I can pretend (if I try really, really hard) that I'm heading out to the beach for a swim rather than to trudge through snow...


Chook unimpressed by the snow.

I found the camera cable so here's part of Meg's book:



She's read it to me about a gazillion times now so I can decode the writing but I think it's still pretty indecipherable. The わ are both わ and は for example.

Finally the genkan. I'm not going to be winning any Good Housekeeping Awards for the state of it at the moment and I was going to clean it up before I took a picture but in the pursuit of truth in blogging and well, more truthfiully, with it being bloody freezing down there I decided to just take some snaps and escape back to my warm cosy living room.

Looking to the right: the curtain we put in, a very dusty gardening shelf, a wardrobe for our wet weather gear, a whole lot a boots, a whole lot a pickles and a whole lot a juice.


Looking to the left: why yes those are tanabata displays from last July. But I really love them so they're there to remind me of the girls and of summer. A whole hodge podge of shoes, Amy's dolls' stroller and the broom for sweeping snow off the porch. Meg loves sweeping snow (a feeling that I am hoping lasts a long, long time!) but has the not so desirable habit of leaving the broom wherever she happens to be when she stops sweeping. At least it was inside this time!


And that was today in pictures.

4 件のコメント:

jojoebi さんのコメント...

I LOVE Meg's picture and you can hang it in the genkan when she brings it home at the end of the year :o)
I am not jealous of the ice and snow though, it has been bitterly cold here but not a snowflake in sight.

Xana さんのコメント...

Wow! What an excellent exhibit, I love it! Did all the kids do it, or just the nencho?

Thank you so much for the unedited genkan photos. It looks very much like our genkan, except we have a Mickey bicycle instead of a doll stroller and a pumpkin and onion stand with diminishing pumpkins and onions and rapidly increasing misc junk. And no curtain to block the view of the messy coat stand in our useless hallway. Great idea, the curtain.
Everyone around here that I know has spotless, EMPTY genkans and I don't know how they do it. Well, they don't garden, for starters. But, they do have kids. Anyway, you made me feel much better, thank you.

thefukases さんのコメント...

jojoebi- it would certainly brighten up our genkan!

Xana- it was just the nencho kids but they do it every year so Amy can look forward to doing it in a couple of years.

The super tidy genkan... Hmmm... I know at least three of my neighbours have immaculate genkans because they only use them for visitors- everyone elseuses the kateguchi (kitchen/ back door) that would certainly make it easier! Unfortunately I use our kateguchi to keep the rubbish bin and recycling and our other kateguchi has no outside lock so we don't use that one to get in either. I'm impressed you still have pumpkins. Our last two had to be given to the chooks as they had gone soft and squishy...

Xana さんのコメント...

We don't really have a kateguchi, just sliding doors that open onto the back yard, but nowhere to leave shoes that won't get rained on. And the side door into the kitchen has the oven in front of it because it is useless as a door. Most of the neighbors don't have kateguchi either. Some are in apartments with tiny genkans and three kids. How do they do it???

Our pumpkin stand now has a big basket of onions (some of which are squishy, must get on that) a few kabocha, one pumpkin that wasn't ripe when picked, and a whole lot of junk. I chopped up our last squishy Cinderella pumpkin last week and buried it in bits along the teibo in hopes of having a pumpkin vine-covered embankment come summer. I don't think the slacker-pumpkin-planting method will be very successful, but worth a try.