2010年2月3日水曜日

seemed like a good idea at the time (times 3)

I am prone to great ideas. This is less of a gift than a curse. See the ideas always seem great before I actually put them into action.

It is at that point and only then- when it's too late to go back- that I begin to question the greatness of this particular idea....

number 1:
Since Sunday the big car has been parked at my work.
Didn't get it Sunday as I was too tired to drive safely.
Wanted to get it Monday but K took the bike as his car had a flat tyre.
Wanted to get it Tuesday but it was snowing too hard to ride.
So today, finally, on a freezing but blue skied day, I decided to head off into the city on the bike.

The bike because I gave away my tricked out touring bike in all it's paneer packed glory when I got pregnant with Meg. Gave it away. Because I was going to be a mummy, now. Never ride a bicycle again you know. Those great ideas I tell you....

Anyway, got geared up in my cycling jacket, shoes and helmet and clip clopped out to the bike. It was a little cold but I figured once I got moving I'd be OK. About 2 metres down the road I realised my mistake. 1 degree is not fabulous cycling weather. Being unable to find my Bono style yellow cycling glasses I had wind in my eyes, tears running down my cheeks, my lungs were burning and my hands were aching (forgot gloves). All that and I was still in sight of my house! I would have turned around and gone home but two of my neighbours were out shovelling snow and, well, wouldn't want to ruin the whole cool cyclist look by scurrying off home, now would I? So I kept going, remembering not to brake on ice, trying to avoid being taken out by trucks driving perilously close to the curb and trying not to take out old ladies waiting at busstops. All while not actually being able to see properly with the wind and tear thing going on. Yeah, it was a really fun ride. But, 45 minutes later and my lungs felt bigger and my hands had warmed up and I was invigorated and thinking I might get back into cycling again... come March or so...

number 2:
The extension on the chook cage is made of plastic agricultural netting. The first time it got snow on it I flicked it and the snow fell down into the cage. This saved the netting but the chooks were pretty unimpressed. So for about a week now I have been feeling sorry for the chooks and letting the snow just accumulate there. Woops. Today I noticed the netting was straining and sagging rather sadly. Headed out (jacket and boots but no hat or gloves because it would just be a quick ping flick job, you know) and tried to clear it. Flick... Ping... Nothing. The snow has gone icy on the bottom. Icy and entwined around the netting. Started picking big hunks up and hurling them as far away as possible. Slightly more effective but so, so cold. Great idea moment- decided to brush a huge sweep of snow with my arm rather than pick it up. Great idea. Dropped a whole pile of powder snow down my front. Face, down the neck, all the way down into my boots. Great. Gave up in disgust and decided this is a job for another day. Preferably a Saturday....

number 3:
Demon day sushi. You eat a huge fat futomaki seaweed wrapped sushi facing that years compass point. Having given up on slavishly obeying tradition with all the fretting and stressing that it entails and deciding that it's the spirit of the thing that's important the menu was for natto sushi (Meg's favourite), meguro tuna sushi (K's favourite), rolled omelette and blanched spinach (my favourite) and smashed cucumber and pickled plum sushi (Amy's favourite). Taking the spirit thing and running with it I didn't make sushi rice and we used regular brown rice. Decided that instead of painstakingly removing the pits from the pickled plums and smooshing them into a paste I'd make use of a jar of plum salt a student gave me. Plum salt is made by evaporating the liquid left over when you finish a jar of pickled plums. You just keep drying it out until you're left with a thick, gloopy, intensely plummy and intensely salty paste. A teaspoon of that ought to do it thinks I and confidently start mixing.... Hmmmm...? Ahhh... Oh nooo.... The salt in the paste is sucking moisture out of the cucumber and I'm getting a disturbing pink soup with green flecks in it thing going on. Now, with adequate preparation time this wouldn't be a problem- wait, drain off liquid and continue. Unfortunately my reality is Amy standing under my armpit complaining that she wants her sushi now! Pah... it'll be fine! I thought as I dumped the concoction on top of the rice and got under way. Hmmm. Too moist sushi filling equals wet rice equals a sushi roll that's just not happening...

Oh well, lucky for me the family are more grateful than gourmand and the day finished without any further great ideas. Phew!



Miss Perfect had to try and re-roll my ill-fated cucumber and plum paste sushi.

2 件のコメント:

Nay さんのコメント...

I think you deserve a medal for even thinking about riding your bike down to pick up your car!! I know how cold my hands used to get riding my bike to work in winter and I live in Shizuoka. There is no way my bike would be getting used at all if I lived in Nagano like you :)

thefukases さんのコメント...

Ahh Nay you were riding a mamachari, right? I wouldn't rie one of those in winter but a mountain bike? Flying along with the wind in your hair (ok and your eyes) is pretty invigorating!